Date:      Mon, 8 Oct 2001 10:19:54 +0200
From:      "Patrick O'Reilly" <patrick@mip.co.za>
To:        "Scott Gerhardt" <scott@gerhardt-it.com>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: New Install Questions

Scott

> 2.) This is highly subjective, but what are some generally accepted
> partitioning schemes for a general purpose Web and Mail server?  I'm
> mostly concerned with the sizing of /var and I would like to keep
> the variable data on it's own partition.  I have 18GB to slice to
> start, and the bulk of the data will be databases, html-docs, mail
> and logs.
>
> It's hard to state sizing information without knowing how big you
> expect the logs to be. In general, FreeBSD file systems are enough
> more robust than Linux file systems that you don't really need lots of
> partitions. If there isn't any user data on the server, I just use a /
> and /var, then put the web tree on /var as well. That way, you can
> mount / read-only. If you have users logging in and mucking with data,
> make it /, /home and /var.

I'm not going to argue with Mike who has far more experience than I do, but
here is an alternative which was discussed just last week on the list:

> Greg Lehey's fine book suggests symlink-ing /var, as suggested
> also by Zach.
>
> The last 10 or 15 boxes I have set up have no /var partition,
> just / (128M), swap (xxxM), and /usr (the rest of the first
> disk).  Immediately after installation I do this:
>
> # mkdir /usr/var
> # cd /var
> # tar cf - . | (cd /usr/var; tar xf -)
> # ls -al /usr/var         # Just to be sure it happened!
> # cd /
> # rm -rf /var
> # ln -s /usr/var /var
>
> I do the same with /tmp, then:
> # shutdown -r now
> so that the box can come up clean with the new /var .
>
> This procedure has NEVER given me trouble, and it saves worrying
> about a small /var partition.
>
> Thanks to Greg's instructions :)

I guess the two options are much of a muchness!  I *feel* more comfortable
with Greg's option because there is so much more installed on /usr.  And the
/ partition can be very small.  I use 128M for /, but have never seen the
actual utilization exceed 60M when using this scheme.  I prefer the idea of
having fewer files linked via a symlink.  But, as I said, Mike and Greg are
both far more experienced than me - so either scheme is probably equally
good.

Patrick.