Date:      Thu, 31 Jul 1997 10:54:17 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Michael R. Rudel" <mrr@aerosmith.dyn.ml.org>
To:        Tim Liddelow <TLiddelow@cybec.com.au>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>, FreeBSD current <freebsd-current@freefall.FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: core group topics

On Thu, 31 Jul 1997, Tim Liddelow wrote:
> Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> >
> > Erm, "none excepting inertia and fear of chaos, confusion, shock and
> > increased entropy all around." :) Inflicting another ABI on our user
> > base, one which will result in a new class of packages which all older
> > FreeBSD releases cannot run, is NOT something to be considered
> > lightly.
> >
> >                                         Jordan
>
> It doesn't have to be _that_ hard.  The Linux camp did the dual ABI
> thing for quite a while.  Sure - the transition wasn't all beer and
> skittles but they did it.  And they're reaping the rewards (see
>
> Another thing - so what if OLDER FreeBSD releases can't run the ELF
> packages  ?  You have symlinks for packages for a certain release,
> right ?  There's no way if I am running FreeBSD 4.0 (ELF) that I would
> try to add an a.out package.  And vise versa.  OLDER FreeBSD releases
> will continue to use the a.out packages.  New packages would have
> to be made for both 2.1.7.x release(s) and the newer ELF release.

Well, new FreeBSD realeses will be able to run both ELF and a.out,
correct? So, really, as long as people running an old release don't try to
grab packages for a new release, this should work fine. We could really
stress the fact that, when the ELF release comes up, people -NEED- to
upgrade, as this will (and, IMO, 3.0 always has been) a major milestone.

--
Michael R. Rudel -=- FreeBSD: There are no limits -=- mrr@aerosmith.dyn.ml.org
FreeBSD aerosmith.dyn.ml.org 3.0-CURRENT