Date:      Wed, 20 Nov 1996 07:58:39 -0600
From:      "Jay L. West" <jlwest@tseinc.com>
To:        <questions@FreeBSD.org>, "dennis" <dennis@kentauros.rtd.algo.com.gr>
Subject:   Re: question: Unite or Die?

> ......My conclusion is that in some fields FBSD
> is better (networking, stability) and in some other Linux
> has the lead( available drivers, memory managment). My
> question is why have two OS rather than one REALLY good one?
> Why dont programmers,hackers,develepors of both teams unite to write the
> ultimite OS?

Dennis;

I agree with your sentiment, but here's something to think about.
The problem is that these two things are diametricly opposed. It's
very tough to have stability as well as a huge number of drivers.
One has to sacrifice one over the other, or be willing to wait for
one to catch up with the other.

Like communism - it's a great idea on paper.... <grin>

J. West