Date:      Fri, 1 Jun 2001 10:29:02 +0200
From:      Borja Marcos <borjamar@sarenet.es>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Apache Software Foundation Server compromised, resecured. (fwd)

On Friday 01 June 2001 02:28, you wrote:
> 	based on what i've read this morning, it wouldn't have made
> 	all that much of a difference. aparently the compromised
> 	version of ssh recorded passphrases, and keys.
>
> 	i don't see how else you could have avoided this problem.

	If you use an authentication agent the keys are kept in your computer. If
you ssh from A to B and from B to C, the challenge used for the
authentication is sent from C through B to A. This means that a compromised
ssh client in B cannot log any keys.

	I use to install *all* my ssh servers with "PasswordAuthentication no" in
/etc/ssh/sshd_config.

	And, using an authentication agent would allow you to use a sort of external
device to store the keys. For example, a Dallas Semiconductor "iButton", a
PDA or a HP calculator.

	Borja.