Date:      Mon, 20 Aug 2001 05:26:08 -0700
From:      Tim Pozar <pozar@lns.com>
To:        dannyman <dannyman@toldme.com>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: radio cards

On Mon, Aug 20, 2001 at 12:55:24AM -0700, dannyman wrote:
> Anyone ever play with a cool radio tuner card?  I'd like to be able to
> tune to a station, and dump a program in to an au, maybe piping it in to
> an mp3/ogg encoder, so that I can listen to my favorite NPR and other
> programs on my own schedule.  Basically, my own little radio TiVo. :)

I use the Hauppauge WinTV/FM card for exactly this.  For my commercial
clients, I use it for off-air reception -> streaming and for my
home use I set it up to archive various radio shows during the day
(ie. "Stern - Infinity", "Fresh Air - NPR", "Utah Philips - KPFA",
etc.).

You will need to run the output into a sound card.  An Ensoniq card
will set you back about $25 and will sound fine.

For the actuall software, I wrote a number of scripts and programs
that will do the streaming and archiving.  You can check out some
of them at:

	http://www.lns.com/papers

Tim
--
  Snail: Tim Pozar / LNS / 1978 45th Ave / San Francisco CA 94116 / USA
               POTS: +1 415 665 3790  Radio: KC6GNJ / KAE6247