Date:      Wed, 03 Feb 1999 11:42:11 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        "Milliken, Scott" <MillikS@sti.imshealth.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-stable@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 3.0 sysinstall hangs on Compaq Deskpro 6000

> After a bit of frustration with an XFree86 3.3.3.1 that refuses to compile
> completely I decided to simply install FreeBSD 3.0 from scratch rather than
> push this 2.2.8 -> 3.0 upgrade any further.   I downloaded the latest and
> greatest boot.flp and started up my Deskpro 6000.   Everything seems to be
> detected properly but the system hangs on "Probing for devices" phase of
> sysinstall.  I rebooted my system into the upgraded 3.0 environment and
> tried to run /stand/sysinstall and got the same error.  What can I do to
> give the development group more information so that this can be fixed?

The following would be a good start:

 - Detailed disk configuration information; which drives, connected
   where.  Include CDROMs, extra add-in cards, etc.
 - Are any disk lights on?  On solid, or blinking?
 - Hit Alt-F2 and tell us everything you see.

We've had reports of this many times, but never been able to reproduce
it.  If you or someone else in the SF Bay area has a machine that does
this repeatably, we'd *really* like to borrow it for a few days.

Thanks.