Date:      	Sat, 21 Mar 1998 23:42:21 +0300 (MSK)
From:      "Vitaly A. Repin" <vitaly@radio.hop.stu.neva.ru>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re:Re: troubles with DOS partition (was: 2 questions from the beginner)

To: Studded@dal.net

>> 1) There are two partitions (in MS notation) on my HDD. The first is
>> for Win95 (its type is FAT16) and the second is for FreeBSD.
>> I want to read and write files from the first partition using FreeBSD.
>> Ok, I've read man pages and add the following line in /etc/fstab:
>>
>> /dev/wd0s1    /dos_hdd   msdos   rw  0  2
>>
>> When system starts it dispays the warning from mountmsdosfs(): "root
>> directory isn't a multiple of the clustersize in length".
>> Manual displays that writing on MS-DOS filesystem can produce the corruption
>> of the data and that it is "shortcoming in the code which needs to be
>> addressed".
>>
>> The question is: what should I do to imrove this situation?

>        First thing you should do is take out that fstab entry and umount that
> parition.

Ok. I've done it. Thank you very much for warning about the chance
of data loss on my FreeBSD partition.

> I am guessing that you used fips to shrink your dos partition.

I used Partition Magic to do this. But, it seems to me, there are not many
differences between these two programs.

> In any case, the
> solution is to back up all your data, use dos fdisk to wipe out both
> partitions and repartition your drive, then reinstall everything. Yes, I
> know this is bad news, but if you want to access your dos partition
> regularly from freebsd this is the safest way.

Oh. It's a VERY bad news for me. Are you sure, it's "the first and the last"
solution of my problem?

> Good luck,

> Doug

> --
> ***         Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network       ***
> *** Proud operator, designer and maintainer of the world's largest
> *** Internet Relay Chat server.  5,328 clients and still growing.
> *** Try spider.dal.net on ports 6662-4    (Powered by FreeBSD)

Thank you for your suggestions.

Good-bye.

                                                                   WBR, Vitaly.