Date:      Wed, 4 Dec 1996 11:39:50 +0100 (MET)
From:      Joep Grooten <joep@di.nl>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Weird Netscape/Java problem

Hi All,

I am experiencing very strange Java problems with Netscape, I hope someone
knows a solution (i'd be very grateful) ...

short: Netscape 3.0 & Java ran fine, I upgraded to 3.01 and Java didn't work
	   anymore. Re-installed Netscape 3.0 and Java _still_ doesn't work !?

long:

(FreeBSD 2.1.5/Pentium/16M/Xfree86 3.2)

I noticed that Java didn't work anymore after having installed NS3.01. I
thought this was probably just a coincidence or something and tried to
install 3.01 on another FreeBSD machine : Java didn't work as well. Oh well,
just re-install 3.0 (3.01 wasn't so hot anyway) I thought.

But :  on _both_ machines Java won't work anymore. I deleted all the files
that ever came with Netscape and re-installed everything but nothing seems
to work.

I think the java_30 file gets unpacked when I try to view an applet,
Netscape is loading something big from the drive but the Applet canvas
remains blank. Unfortunately no error messages.

Suggestions anyone ? (I already tried the mkfontdir trick :)

--
|  \    /  | Joep Grooten / Digital Intelligence     |