Date:      Mon, 2 Mar 1998 14:44:26 -0800 (PST)
From:      Michael Haro <perl@netmug.org>
To:        "Mulholland, Terry" <tmulholl@vectrainternational.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CableModem & LAN setup

On Mon, 2 Mar 1998, Mulholland, Terry wrote:

> I have the following problem.  I am trying to setup Freebsd
> 2.2.5-RELEASE to allow several win 95 machines access to the internet.
> My
> connection to the internet is  a cablemodem / static IP address.
>
> The question...
>
> What am I doing wrong? Or do you need more info?  I did not include the
> netstat -r but can if you need that information.

You need to configure your FreeBSD box as a firewall.
Recompile the kernel and add

options IPFIREWALL
options IPDIVERT

to the kernel config first.

Then reboot

after the reboot, add

natd          6668/divert  # Network Address Translation socket

to /etc/services.

Then run

/sbin/ipfw -f flush
/sbin/ipfw add divert natd all from any to any via <cable modem interface>
/sbin/ipfw add pass all from any to any

Then you should be able to run natd -interface <cable modem interface>
and have it work.

You should probably check out the natd(8) and ipfw(8) manpages.

Let me know if this works,

Michael