Date:      Wed, 25 Feb 1998 06:23:04 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        tom@sdf.com (Tom)
Cc:        jak@cetlink.net, grog@lemis.com, cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us, AdamT@smginc.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, rob@f-body.org
Subject:   Re: Token Ring for FreeBSD yet?

>   Yes, it is true.  16mbs token ring is quite fast.  Token-passing is a
> bit of problem with large numbers of stations.  Token networks make very
> efficient use of network bandwidth though.

In fact, a token ring of N stations allows for N/3 - 1 simultaneous
tokens (minimum, one) so that you can have multiple packes in process
at once.

It also allows for bidirectional, if you do it right (like FDDI does).

The major win is that, with a lot of active stations, you can have
more simultaneously active stations than you can have with a baseband
implementation (CSMA/CA vs CSMA/CD).

So there are good reasons for token-ring technologies, even if they
are not obvious to small offices...

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---