Date:      Mon, 12 Apr 1999 16:54:25 +0900
From:      NAKAGAWA Yoshihisa <y-nakaga@nwsl.mesh.ad.jp>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>, Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, Ted Faber <faber@ISI.EDU>, Nick Sayer <nsayer@quack.kfu.com>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Any success with CirrusLogic 6729/6730???

> This is specifically why we still use hint information from the
> configuration file.  The goal, however, is to get away from compiling
> that hint information into the kernel.

# newconfig members' (me too) opinion below:

Our newconfig is better than yours new-bus in this point.
Newconfig supports both dynamic configration and static configuration,
so newconfig can do what new-bus can do, and also newconfig can
support particular configurations which new-bus can't.
(e.g. specially tuned kernel for particular purpose.)

Also, in newconfig case, we don't have to load the code which support
an ISA PCIC, if only an PCI PCIC code is needed, because we split an
PCIC driver to three part, an ISA attachment, an PCI attachment, and
bus independent shared part.  In new-bus case, we suppose that you
have to load both the code which supports an PCI PCIC and the code
which supports an ISA PCIC. So, newconfig kernel is smaller and
faster to boot and more dynamic than new-bus.
Especially because new-bus doesn't have the feature to treat the
shared part of the device driver like this.

--
NAKAGAWA, Yoshihisa
	y-nakaga@nwsl.mesh.ad.jp