Date:      Sat, 12 Feb 2000 08:56:34 -0600 (CST)
From:      James Wyatt <jwyatt@rwsystems.net>
To:        Andrzej Bialecki <abial@webgiro.com>
Cc:        Mitch Collinsworth <mkc@Graphics.Cornell.EDU>, spork <spork@super-g.com>, Dominik Brettnacher <domi@saargate.de>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Amanda [was: Arkeia Server under FreeBSD]

I wish they would make one. The ADSM servers at one of our customers have
tons of capacity and handle most of the 200 or so AIX boxes very well. I
would love to have a 'non-commercial license is free' version that would
handle my AIX, FreeBSD, Windows and Linux machines here. The first stage
cache is a set of drives. It hits the tape immediately, but a restore of
config or source files is fast if they change often.

It drives tape libraries the size of a rack cabinet or as small as a shoe
box. It ensures that consecutive backups are on different tapes and tracks
how much usage *each* tape and drive has had for maintenance. It's GUI
could be improved, but I use the command-line-restore-of-previous-file
feature (Homer mode 8{) most often.

It has removed a *lot* of worry over backups and helped us evangelize to
the mainframers that Unix can do tape management beyond 'tar' to 8mm...
Having it on FreeBSD would improve conversations reguarding it's use
there. - Jy@