Date:      Tue, 8 Dec 1998 00:12:00 -0600
From:      "Singh, Hardeep           IN" <singhh@delpo1.in.unisys.com>
To:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>

Sir,
These are the set of questions regarding FreeBSD i wanted to ask for long. I
ppreciate that you all there
are quite busy in view of hectic schedules.So i advise you take your own
time in sending the responses and I shall be least bothered if there is any
delay on your part.

1)If we install all the libraries for Linux should we be able to run all
Linux applications

2)With Oracle announcing support for Linux how far is it going to be
compatable in view of Query 1.If at all it going to be possible could you
pls let me know if it should affect the performance of database on FreeBSD
as compared to Oracle on native Linux.

3)Is there going to be increased cross platform support in FreeBSD in new
release version

4)Netscape has announced release for 4.08 Navigator version,but on the
download page for netscape
for Unix flavours FreeBSD does not appear .Linux 1.2 and 2.1 seem to be
closest match. Could
You pls let me know if nay thing new is going to happen in this regard

5)Netscape 4.05 on FreeBSD is not as fancy as it is for Windows e.g
checkboxex,fonts and even some the the other options.Do we need to load
additional font and other libraries for it

6)Is there any tool like online defragmenter  on Unix.I do not have any tape
drive attached to my P.C to unload my file systems and restore them
back.Will it be a good idea to dump filesystem on some other machine and
restore it back via ftp in order to minimise defragmentation.How much degree
of fragmentation is generally tolerable in file systems on FreeBSD any tips
!!. This is prodding me for quite some time because of the fact that  i see
that netscape loading takes a appreciable amount of time now a days as
compared to when i initially installed FreeBSD.There could be other reasons
as well but i see that my /usr filesystem shows about 5% defragmentation.How
else could i increase the performance of my system.Pls help me with tips or
guide me to a suitable Web or Book resource for increasing performance.
I am already running kernel built  to my P.C specifications and
requirements.

Thanks And Regards
Hardeep Singh
singhh@delpo1.in.unisys.com