Date:      Wed, 12 Aug 1998 10:59:00 +0200
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        croyle@gelemna.ft-wayne.in.us, ports@FreeBSD.ORG, markm@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Updating p5-* ports for perl-5.005_01

 wrote:
>  * OK - i think this is the way I'll do it (bearing in mind your tale
>  * of the emacs FUBAR).
>
>  :)
>
>  * I'll put all the base stuff into
>  * /usr/libdata/perl5/5.005/[{i386|alpha}-freebsd/]
>                       ^^^^^
>  * and plain old /usr/share/man/man.[13].
>
> Hmm.  Is that really necessary?  The stuff in /usr/src is "the"
> system, you don't really have to worry about coexisting with other
> versions.  (It's not like someone's going to install both perl5.004
> and perl5.005 in /usr/src on the same machine....)

The reason for this (and I'm flexible) is that when the number changes,
very often there are incompatible binaries around. I'd like to be able
to solve that problem by saying to the luser "blow away the 5.00n dir".

> The reason why I say this is because the stuff in /usr/src is usually
> expected to overwrite itself as people upgrade with "make world".  I
> don't know what people will think if there's a few megabytes of old
> stuff left behind when we go to perl5.006....

Sure. That also makes sense. I can go that way too. Given that it seems
to be receiving more support, Ill doo that until the flames arrive :-).

>  * For the time being, the ports should stay where they are:
>  * /usr/local/lib/perl5/...
>  * but I'd like to give advance warning that I'd like to move
>  * them to
>  * /usr/local/libexec/perl5/... (or something) later.
>
> Ok.  (But remember, man pages aren't executables! ;)

Right - move man pages to /usr/local/man/man3? /usr/<mumble>/perl5/man/man3?
Where?

>  * So the current perl ports can go ahead as you have been doing with
>  * the others. :-)
>
> So I assume you're going to leave versions in there, right?  May I
> commit the bsd.port.mk fix? :)

Please do.

> By the way, I noticed that the new perl really scatters stuff around
> under site_perl.  There's some stuff directly under site_perl although
> most of the stuff goes under site_perl/5.005, then some stuff directly
> under there, some under the "auto" directory, then there's
> site_perl/5.005/i386-freebsd, then there's stuff there as well as
> another "auto" subdirectory.
>
> Is it really supposed to be this way? ;)

*Cringe* Yup. The stuff under i386-freebsd (infact ${ARCH}-${OS}) is binary
executable shared loadables *phew*. The stuff under auto is the autoloaded
stuff that co-operates with the other .... and so on. It is nasty.

Mark Murray