Date:      Wed, 28 Nov 2001 16:19:37 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG, Jay Keller <jaykeller4@hotmail.com>, Christopher Schulte <christopher@schulte.org>
Subject:   Re: Updating ssh

On 29-Nov-01 Brett Glass wrote:
> At 03:58 PM 11/28/2001, Christopher Schulte wrote:
>
>>At 03:26 PM 11/28/2001 -0700, Brett Glass wrote:
>>>Perhaps FreeBSD should put these things in /usr/local from the get-go?
>>
>>No.  /usr/local is for software installed outside the base system.  The ssh
>>package is part of the base system,
>
> Not really. It's not maintained by the FreeBSD Core Team and is updated
> independently. It merely "comes with" the base system. That's an important
> distinction.

Very few things are maintained by the Core Team.  Many things are maintained by
the committers however, including ssh.  FreeBSD has some FreeBSD-specific
features that are maintained in parallel with OpenSSH development.

> Myself, I believe that third-party products should be kept in separate
> directories -- preferably in the default ones used by the developers,
> unless these are totally bogus. If this were done with SSH, it would
> be in /usr/local from the get-go and upgrades would work. Ditto with
> Perl.

Let's just move all of /usr/bin into /usr/ucb then since it's 3rd party
Berkeley code. :-P