Date:      Thu, 07 Dec 2000 11:58:30 -0800
From:      Mark <mark@etinc.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Iomega ZIP boot problem

No answer from the -questions list, so I figured I'd try here.

I'm encountering difficulties booting from a 250MB Iomega ZIP drive.  The
ZIP drive is installed as the primary master IDE.  There's a UFS
filesystem on /dev/afd0a.

At the boot prompt, I enter

boot: 0:ad(0,a)kernel

afd0? is of course not an option here.  Since the ZIP is configured in
the BIOS to emulate an IDE HD, I take a stab.  The kernel loads properly,
devices are detected as per usual.  At the stage where the root
filesystem is remounted r/w,

I get the following:

<<CAPTURE>

ATAPI> [239/64/32] at ata0-master using PIO3

Mounting root from ufs:ad0s1a

Root mount failed: 6

Mounting root from ufs:ad0sa

Root mount failed: 6

Manual root filesystem specification:

	<<fstype>:<<device>  Mount <<device> using filesystem <<fstype>

				eg. ufs:/dev/da0s1a

	?		List valid disk boot devices

	<<empty line>	Abort manual input

mountroot>  /dev/afd0a

Mounting root from /dev/afd0a

Root mount failed: 22

mountroot> ufs:/dev/afd0a

Mounting root from ufs:/dev/afd0a

spec_getpages:(#afd/0) IO read failure: (error=0) bp 0xc1c78438 vp
0xc5ae1d40

	size: 53248, resid: 32768, a_count: 53248, valid: 0x0

	nread: 20480, reqpage: 7, pindex: 51, pcount: 13

vm_fault:  pager read error, pid 1 (init)

Nov  28  10:31:15 init: setlogin() failed: Bad address

spec_getpages:(#afd/0) IO read failure: (error=0) bp 0xc1c78438 vp
0xc5ae1d40

	size: 57344, resid: 32768, a_count: 57344, valid: 0x0

	nread: 24576, reqpage: 7, pindex: 73, pcount: 14

vm_fault:  pager read error, pid 6 (sh)

pid 6 (sh), uid 0: exited on signal 11

Nov 28  10:31:16 init: /bin/sh on /etc/rc terminated abnormally, going to
single

user mode

Enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /sbin/sh:

</fontfamily>

<</CAPTURE>

	As you can see, manually selecting "/dev/afd0a" seems to be a valid
option.  However, once / is mounted, I get a series of read errors.
There's more, though.  If I hit "enter" a few times, it manages to
execute /bin/sh and give me a prompt.

At this point, most any command I type that isn't a shell builtin results
in a few inital read failures followed by any number of successful
operations. For example, if I tried to 'newfs' a partition, the first two
attempts fail, and then I can 'newfs' as many partitions as I need.
Seems like a caching issue, as if the latency of the drive exceeds the
driver's expectation.   This should not be an issue if it's using the
"afd" driver.

I'm wondering if this kind of operation is even supported?  There don't
seem to be any problems with the drive or the media, I can read and write
files w/o errors with the drive mounted on a running system.

Has anyone done this sort of thing successfully?  If so, what am I
missing?

Thanks in advance...

-Mark