Date:      Sun, 17 Dec 2000 23:59:03 -0600
From:      lanehol@bellsouth.net
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   FreeBSD 3.1 and ethernet devices

I have an existing Mac/Windows network and I want to add my FreeBSD box to
the party ... but something doesn't seem to work.

I have assigned the FreeBSD box the ip address of 192.168.0.4 and I can ping
that address from FreeBSD as well as it's standard localhost address.
However I cannot see beyond the box or from Windows or Mac to the box.  The
card and cable check out fine; /etc/rc.conf has my host name
"lane.unix.home"; and /etc/hosts has an entry for each of the three boxes

On bootup the Real Tech ethernet card is identified and ifconfig -a reports
the correct ip, subnetmask and status ...

I'm not real familiar with unix so I'm not sure where to go next ... I did
notice that there is no device named /dev/rl0* ... could this be an issue?

Please provide guidance.

P.S.  I'm still trying to figure out how to subscribe to this list, so if
you could point me in the right direction there, too, I'd appreciate it.

Lane