Date:       Mon, 19 Jun 2000 19:54:29 +1000
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
To:        Gregory Bond <gnb@itga.com.au>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is x-compiling  2.2 on a 3.x system supported?

On Wed, Jun 07, 2000 at 13:52:58 +1000, Gregory Bond wrote:
>  Is building 2.2.x world on 3.x supported?

I'd be very surprised if it was.  The 2.2 build process mostly
assumes that it is running on 2.2.

My attempts to build 2.2.x on 4.x also died inside rtld.  The
problems were a mixture of the changes to symbol mapping (the
'_' prepended to symbols in a.out but not ELF) and having the
rtld work during the build process - when it has to work with
the 4.x kernel.

When I asked a similar question, Cy Schubert suggested running
buildworld inside a chroot'd 2.2 environment - and that worked
on a 4.x system (but I haven't gotten around to the installworld
part).

Peter