Date:      Tue, 9 Nov 1999 21:18:46 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        Aernoudt Bottemanne <bottemanne@capitolonline.nl>
Cc:        Don <don@calis.blacksun.org>, mholloway@flashmail.com, freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 3.3 works perfect..

On Tue, 9 Nov 1999, Aernoudt Bottemanne wrote:

> Hi  Don,
>

> Exactly my point: the support is gettings better. On PWS and PC164 the
> level of support of (debian) Linux is still better. for the machine you
> describe I don't know, and you do so I'll take your word for it.

I'm interested in why you think our support for PWS and PC164 is lower
than Linux. I have both of these boxes and they were among the first
machines to ever run FreeBSD/alpha.

> At this moment things like wmmon etc don't run on PWS and PC164 without
> problems: worng display, even if my machines are 'idle' the proceeor is
> indicated to be 100% in use.

I believe this problem is fixed in -current. I expect 4.0 to be a very
good release for the alpha architecture compared to 3.x.

> All this sort of stuff still  has a long
> way to go. But I have good hope (given the progress over the last months
> already) that this will be solved. I sure hope so. At this moment I
> break my neck over the differences in wehere to put settings etc, so
> I'll be glad when the Alpha platform is fully supported.

As to the location of settings and configuration files, this is exactly
the same as for FreeBSD/i386 (or should be).

> (I also have
> some Intel machines, but I don't like Intel: performance etc etc)
> Also havbing a native Applixware on Alpha would be nice....

Yes it would :-)

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com