Date:      Mon, 14 Feb 2011 16:24:13 -0800
From:      Rem P Roberti <remegius@comcast.net>
To:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Cc:        Rem P Roberti <rem@remdog.net>, FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Redux

> On Mon, 14 Feb 2011 15:38:28 -0800, Rem P Roberti<rem@remdog.net>  wrote:
>> I need to ask this question again in the hopes that something will come
>> of it.  In the process of going through an update (I finally got that
>> sorted out) all of my partitions were renamed.  Here they are:
>>
>> Filesystem               1K-blocks       Used       Avail      Capacity
>>         Mounted on
>> /dev/label/rootfs0    507630         326734   140286       70%
>>            /
>> devfs                                  1               1          0
>>      100%                /dev
>> /dev/label/var0      1012974         170386   761552       18%
>>           /var
>> /dev/label/usr0     33292236       9358560 21270298     31%
>>     /usr
>> linprocfs                          4                   4          0
>>       100%    /usr/compat/linux/proc
>> /dev/md0                789518                 16     726342      0%
>>                 /tmp
>>
>> As you can see, root, which was once /dev/ad0s1a, is now
>> /dev/label/rootfs0, and /var, which was once /dev/ad0s1d, is now
>> /dev/label/var0.  Along with these changes the /etc/fstab was
>> automatically modified to allow the boot process to take place.  Can
>> someone give me a heads up as to what is going on here.
> Seems that you - or something - did make the switch from
> device names to labels. Maybe your kernel now includes
> GEOM functionality for work with labels? But I don't know
> of a process that changes /etc/fstab automatically...
>
> You can still use the device names for the /etc/fstab
> entries, you just need to make sure that you select
> the correct names (as you described above). Then there
> should be no problem as labels are optional.

Honestly, I certainly didn't make the change from device names to
labels.  I wouldn't know how to do that, although I gather from what
you've said that the kernel config file contains that information.  I'm
not sure, however, what you mean when you say that I can still use the
device names, as the system will not boot unless fstab has in it the
entries shown above.

Rem