Date:      Thu, 21 Sep 1995 18:17:18 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        rogerio@sol.mz.cef.gov.br (Rogerio Meneguim)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: linux password --> freeBSD password

> Now a days we are using Linux, but we are planning to change to
> FreeBSD... but I am afraid to have to cadastrate all my 150 users again...
>
> Is there a utility to convert a Linux Passwd file to the FreeBSD format ?

Is this a Linux system using DES encryption?

If so, install the DES package on the BSD box, and use sed to reformat
the Linux password file into BSD shadow password file format.

Then eliminate all but the users you want to add to the BSD system from
the sed output file.

Then vipw the BSD password file and read in the sed output file at the
end.

Then save and exit.

THe sed script to do this is left up to the version of Linux you are
running and the sed man page.  8-).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---