Date:      Sun, 22 Feb 1998 22:03:07 -0600 (CST)
From:      Kevin Day <toasty@home.dragondata.com>
To:        Studded@san.rr.com (Studded)
Cc:        rob@ideal.net.au, jkh@time.cdrom.com, freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: conf/5809: ircd ports not assigned in /etc/services

> Rob Wise wrote:
>
> > The Undernet ircd, and any other ircd based on it (DALnet, AustNet etc)
> > use udp port 7007 for the lag testing protocol.  Aside from that ircd does
> > not use udp at all.
>
> 	DALnet ircd does not use udp at all, although we are seriously
> considering adding that feature. I looked it up and the IANA does prefer
> assigning both the tcp and the udp ports at the same time, however the
> point is moot for this particular assignment. The IANA has the following
> entry (although I think it's rather grandiose on undernet's part :):
>
> ircu            6665-6669/tcp  IRCU
> ircu            6665-6669/udp  IRCU

While port 6667 is 'standard', most ircd's have 5 or more ports open, most
usually pretty random.

For example, the ircd I run has ports 4242, 6666, 6667, 7000 and 8080 open.
By no means is this standard.

I don't think 6665-6669 is really a standard, other than that a lot of
servers have them open. This does confuse the get port by service name
function, so... I'd vote to put in just 6667 as ircd, and leave it as such.

The 7007 is so quirky, and rarely used, that it's not that important. But, I
do see a problem if some other major service decides to use it.

Is there any reason why ircd couldn't just use port 6667 with udp for the
same purpose? :)

Kevin