Date:      Sun, 13 Oct 1996 10:38:04 +0200 (IST)
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        Jeremy Sigmon <jsigmon@www.hsc.wvu.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installation question

On Sat, 12 Oct 1996, Jeremy Sigmon wrote:

> I have 3 hds (IDE unfortunately) and 1 cdrom
Beware! I remember seeing on this list some discussion of problems with
BootEasy when using 3 IDE drives. You may want to search through the
archives, or else make sure your root partition is on the first drive.

> I would like to create /usr and have it span three of those drives.

You could use ccd, but that's kinda complicated. If all you need is to
use that sppace effectively, and you can afford a static partitioning of
it, you may want to divide /usr into separate partitions. For example,
you could mount /usr on one disk, /usr/local on another and /usr/src on
yet another disk. However, be careful with what you do, because the space
each such directory will take up is very much installation-dependent.

> is this possible? (2.1.5)
You can always use ccd that lets you "stripe" disks (preferably of the
same type). If you want that, take a look at ccd(4) and ccdconfig(8).

> thanks

> Jeremy Sigmon B.S. ChE                      |
> Web Developer of the Robert C. Byrd Health  |            Use
> Sciences Center of West Virginia University |          FreeBSD
>            WWW.HSC.WVU.EDU                  |            Now
> Graduate Student in Computer Science        |
> Office : 293-1060                           |

Nadav