Date:      Mon, 19 Mar 2001 21:41:51 -0500
From:      provine@rowan.edu (Darren Provine)
To:        sam@inf.enst.fr
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD Port: gtkada-1.2.10_1

I spent Saturday trying to get GtkAda to work.  After building a
simple interface with Glade and choosing "build source code", I got
a message saying "gate was not found".

I went to /usr/ports, and installed gate, but then it did something
which made no sense at all: it popped up a bunch of XML into an
editor.

I have just now realised that there are *two different programs* both
named `gate'!  The one I found in the Ports Collection is a simple text
editor, and the one that Glade is looking for is some kind of translator
which converts the XML into Ada95 (or something).

Can you tell me how to get the `gate' program that Glade needs?  The
simple editor was the only one I was able to find, but it's obviously
the wrong thing.

Also, shouldn't the correct `gate' be a dependency in the GtkAda
Port/Package, so that it's installed when GtkAda is installed?

Thanks for any help,
Darren

Darren Provine / provine@rowan.edu