Date:      Wed, 14 Dec 2011 00:23:22 +0000
From:      RW <rwmaillists@googlemail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Free memory exhausted by networking

On Wed, 14 Dec 2011 00:57:52 +0700
Dmitriy Kryuk wrote:

> I'm running Transmission (http://www.transmissionbt.com/), =D0=B0
> BitTorrent client on my FreeBSD 7.2 box. It requests large recieve
> buffers for its network connections. This leaves my system with
> absolutely no free memory. If some process frees a large amount of
> memory, it gets consumed about 1.5 megabytes per second until it
> drops to zero. I don't seem to have any problems like denied network
> connections or memory allocation, but it makes my system swap in and
> out often. As top shows:
>=20
> CPU: 24.9% user, 0.0% nice, 27.2% system, 33.1% interrupt, 14.8% idle
> Mem: 217M Active, 143M Inact, 105M Wired, 25M Cache, 59M Buf, 8K Free
> Swap: 4352M Total, 236K Used, 4352M Free

Swapping doesn't have much to do with low free memory.

There's actually very little swap use, but only 2 pages of free memory.
I think that means that the memory is being used for interrupt
handling, because anything else would allocate from the cache queue
well before that happened.=20

You might try switching the interface to polling or increasing both of
the free memory watermarks vm.v_free_min and vm.v_free_target.=20