Date:      Thu, 26 Mar 1998 08:43:29 -0800
From:      "John M. Purser" <jpurser@wilcofarmers.com>
To:        "FreeBSD Newbies (E-mail)" <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   One step forward....

Hello all,

Just a progress report.

I installed FreeBSD Saturday (2.2.2).  I had a spare disk (EIDE 814 megs) and
the Walnut creek CD set.  I had installed this about 6 months ago but gave up
as I just couldn't seem to DO anything with this mysterious system.  Well I've
been reading a lot since then so Saturday I decided to give it another whirl.
 The install went smoothly (they always do!)  and again I was left with a
couple of account names, a command prompt and no idea about what to do next.  I
played around with ls and the man pages and cal.  Fun stuff but it gets old
fast!  I switched back to Win95, logged into the FreeBSD website and printed
out the entire FreeBSD handbook on an Okidata 391.  This takes a while and was
still printing when I went to bed that night.

The next morning I ran down to a local bookstore (Borders in Salem Oregon) and
was stunned to find The Walnut Creek distribution of FreeBSD 2.2.5 with new
manual and 4 CDs.  I bought it ASAP, hauled it home and installed it.  Once
again, no problems.  I started looking through the new manual and was amazed to
find actual directions for how to do things like set up a desktop and connect
to the Internet.  If you haven't seen the latest manual then I think you're
really missing something, especially for a newbie!

I figured that the easiest thing I could possibly do is load and run a game.
 Couldn't be that big a deal right?  I decided on Doom because unlike 99.9% of
the rest of the ports collection I had at least heard of it before.  Turns out
you need Lynux emulation to run Doom.  No problem, there's a chapter on that in
the manual.  Followed the directions and that's when I found out that my CD was
a "Device Not Configured".  Well that's real helpful.

I spent three full days trying different things, whining to the newsgroup
...FreeBSD.Misc, and combing the archives before I ran across a line that said
the /CD-ROM was a separate file system and had to be mounted.  I mounted it and
boom I could read my CD.  That happened this morning.  I used add_pkg to add
the lynux libraries then tried the next step in the emulation directions and
found that the directory I was trying to cd to didn't exist.  I did eventually
find a similar directory but the make there can't find lynux_lib.tar.gz (I
think) and it really really wants it.  It even tries to got the FreeBSD ftp
site but since I was trying to set up the game to get enough confidence to set
up the internet portion it can't dial out.

I've tried 5 or 6 other things (cussing, screaming, spitting, begging,
tantrums, and threats) before economic necessity drove me to work where I
promptly sat down and killed time writing this letter.  As Dilbert said "What
did people do to look busy before computers?"

Well that's my response to Sue's "First time..." letter.  I guess until I
actually accomplish what I set out to do on some level it will still be my
first time.

On the brighter side the pine e-mail program came right up and if I ever get to
the point where I can connect to my ISP I should have no trouble responding to
this group in proper fashion.

John Purser