Date:      Sun, 21 Jan 2001 23:59:17 -0700
From:      "Lorin Lund" <wbs@infowest.com>
To:        "jon" <cpcbuzz@yahoo.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: root password

------=_NextPart_000_0042_01C08406.2A033F60

I saved this from the freebsd-questions list a few days ago:

Greg Lehey wrote:

> On Friday, 19 January 2001 at  5:46:23 -0600, Lakewebs wrote:
> > Hello
> > My name is Ronald Goad.  As of last week I had a person that was
> > running or internet services dns and hosting.  Both boxes are =
running
> > on FreeBSD. This individual left in the middle of the night after
> > changing all access passwords.  Is there anyone who can assist me in
> > saving these systems.
>=20
> I'm forwarding this to FreeBSD-questions.  Maybe there's somebody
> there who can help you.

First: hunt down the jerk and kill him.
Second: reboot the system (CTL+ALT+DEL at the system console will
provoke a clean shutdown) as it's coming back up, watch for the
countdown, where it says "press enter to boot now or any other key ..."
Press any key other than ENTER before the countdown ends.
At the prompt, enter "boot -s" This will take you into single-user mode.
The system will ask you what shell to use, hit ENTER to accept the
default.
Now you'll be logged in as root (the system admin on a UN*X system).
Just enter the "passwd" command to change root's password. Then enter
reboot and allow the system to come back up into normal operating mode.
You'll now be able to log in as "root" using the new password you
created.

-Bill

------=_NextPart_000_0042_01C08406.2A033F60

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I saved this from the freebsd-questions =
list a few=20
days ago:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Greg Lehey wrote:<BR><BR>&gt; On =
Friday, 19 January=20
2001 at&nbsp; 5:46:23 -0600, Lakewebs wrote:<BR>&gt; &gt; Hello<BR>&gt; =
&gt; My=20
name is Ronald Goad.&nbsp; As of last week I had a person that =
was<BR>&gt; &gt;=20
running or internet services dns and hosting.&nbsp; Both boxes are=20
running<BR>&gt; &gt; on FreeBSD. This individual left in the middle of =
the night=20
after<BR>&gt; &gt; changing all access passwords.&nbsp; Is there anyone =
who can=20
assist me in<BR>&gt; &gt; saving these systems.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; I'm =
forwarding=20
this to FreeBSD-questions.&nbsp; Maybe there's somebody<BR>&gt; there =
who can=20
help you.<BR><BR>First: hunt down the jerk and kill him.<BR>Second: =
reboot the=20
system (CTL+ALT+DEL at the system console will<BR>provoke a clean =
shutdown) as=20
it's coming back up, watch for the<BR>countdown, where it says "press =
enter to=20
boot now or any other key ..."<BR>Press any key other than ENTER before =
the=20
countdown ends.<BR>At the prompt, enter "boot -s" This will take you =
into=20
single-user mode.<BR>The system will ask you what shell to use, hit =
ENTER to=20
accept the<BR>default.<BR>Now you'll be logged in as root (the system =
admin on a=20
UN*X system).<BR>Just enter the "passwd" command to change root's =
password. Then=20
enter<BR>reboot and allow the system to come back up into normal =
operating=20
mode.<BR>You'll now be able to log in as "root" using the new password=20
you<BR>created.<BR><BR>-Bill<BR><BR><BR>To Unsubscribe: send mail to <A=20
href=3D"mailto:majordomo@FreeBSD.org">majordomo@FreeBSD.org</A><BR>with=20
"unsubscribe freebsd-questions" in the body of the=20
message</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0042_01C08406.2A033F60--