Date:      Mon, 23 Mar 1998 16:53:28 -0500
From:      Cory Kempf <ckempf@enigami.com>
To:        bobb@metroed.net, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        bobb@ns.metroed.net
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and Adaptec 7895 on M/B?

At 15:26 -0500 98.03.23, Bob Beaulieu wrote:
>I notice in FAQ that FreeBSD works with:
>AH-294x and aic7870 MB controllers (Narrow/Twin/Wide) <PCI>.
>
>I'm thinking about buying  the 333mhz pentium ii and
>intel dk 440lx m/b, usb, wol, agp chipset, crystal audio,
>dual scsi, raid connection.  Which I understand is using
>Adaptec 7895 MB controller.  Will this work with FreeBSD?

Yes.  At least mine does.

You need to run -current, you need CAM, and (last I checked), you need to
have a kernel based on the March 12 source base.

To install, you will need the CAM based floppy kernel.  Look in /incomming.
Once you have installed, and installed the cam-kernel via the fixit floppy,
you will need to boot with -a at the boot prompt -- at least I did.

Not sure that AGP is working, I chickened out and went with PCI for my
first graphics card.

So far, I don't have working audio or serial, and have not tried RAID.

Good luck: you will need it.

+C

--
Thinking of purchasing RAM from the Chip Merchant?  Please read this first:
<http://www.enigami.com/~ckempf/chipmerchant.html>;

Cory Kempf                  Macintosh / Unix Consulting & Software Development
ckempf@enigami.com          <http://www.enigami.com/~ckempf/>;