Date:      Mon, 26 Jan 2004 13:10:09 +0100
From:      Harald Schmalzbauer <h@schmalzbauer.de>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   5.2-rel NFS lockup and networking performance

--Boundary-02=_nOQFAMhidF0k7TQ

Dear developers,

I just upgraded one of my servers from 5.1 to 5.2.
Now when I dd from a linux box on a nfs-mounted 5.2 testfile writing 100kKb=
=20
takes about 5 Minutes because the machine repeatedly "locks up". It seems=20
every disk access is blocked for a while. (on the linux(debian woody) box:=
=20
"dd if=3D/dev/zero of=3D/mnt/nfs/testfile bs=3D1k count=3D100000")
But not only that NFS is broken with linux (I can do the same from my=20
5.2-current without locking up the 5.2-rel machine), also the performence i=
s=20
even more awful than with 5.1. Max transfers are about 4.5Mbyte/s and with=
=20
samba I can get 3.5Mbyte/s. On the same machine with 5.1 it was about 8Mbyt=
e/
s for NFS and about 5.5Mbyte/s for samba.
I think I'll have to switch back to 4.9 since I can remember having had mor=
e=20
than 9Mbyte/s even for samba with much older hardware arround FreeBSD 4.4.
Can anyone confirm that 4.9 is still performing like this?

Does anybody know about this NFS bug and this really weak networking=20
performance?

Best regards,

=2DHarry