Date:      Tue, 13 Oct 1998 06:15:34 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        dkulp@neomorphic.com (David Kulp)
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: rvplayer requires pcm for stable

> I'm a little naive on this.  Will departing from voxware make it more
> difficult to port audio applications to FreeBSD?  I know that the pcm
> audio includes the voxware ioctls plus others.  And OSS presumably has
> a few that it has added.  More than once I have seen FreeBSD advocates
> recommend that apps be ported to linux first and this is likely to be
> the common practice as linux continues to increase in popularity.  If
> our audio drivers begin to diverge from others, is this a good thing?

we are not diverging, just restricting to a subset of functionalities
covering a reasonable number of applications.  There is compatibility
on the main audio ioctls, and most serious (and not serious)
applications do work fine.

Some games do not work until someone has the time and interest to
add the required ioctls.  Some cards are not supported because of
lack of documentation. People who want full support have three
choices:

  * buy OSS; it's cheap.
  * contribute fixes. It isn't cheap.
  * loudly demand that someone else does the dirty work. It's pointless.

No more from me on this topic.

	cheers
	luigi