Date:      Sun, 8 Sep 2013 14:23:53 -0400
From:      David Magda <dmagda@ee.ryerson.ca>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   system backups (was: Package database)
References:  <CADcmFMXNFke=pH8264%2ByNXA3_vhMy8m_7sPrHb1N6eRfVd=Vdw@mail.gmail.com> <CAOjFWZ7LeNwH=6-QODVqBRbL-T52b%2BH_kbpdE5UctLH2WNXOZw@mail.gmail.com> <CADcmFMXimdnfoOAi35HwWLW0_wF30OtWrEjddYnGp3qAgHzNCQ@mail.gmail.com> <CADcmFMVeVAAfRv3F_BwjMd7UrssfFqMPrtPrhYas%2B-GsveU5tQ@mail.gmail.com> <CADcmFMXEj5hmFd7J8zNkbvo3fS-_zG_VEzU8ABu3NX8Oeo0kBQ@mail.gmail.com> <op.w2zvnv0r8527sy@212-182-167-131.ip.telfort.nl> <CADcmFMV8i%2Baic4uFfb_qbs%2BGjFPign766G5FfQuVd0nQss3ECQ@mail.gmail.com>

On Sep 6, 2013, at 12:23, Jim Ballantine <j.ballantine@gmail.com> wrote:

> The backup in /var/backups was a copy of the current DB, so it was not
> usable, however there was/is and older backup that was not corrupt.  =
So I restored
> it into /var/db and then update that one.

Which is nice reminder to everyone about the importance that fact that a =
"proper" backup is a coherent copy of data on independent media. Ideally =
one would coherent copies going back in time over various periods in =
case earlier ones are corrupted.

It's good that this worked out for the OP, but this raises a question in =
my mind (as someone who works in IT): what things on FreeBSD are =
considered "system files" that need to be regularly backed up?

The simplest thing is to just backup all the files on every system, but =
are there more critical files. Most people would include /etc and =
user/personal data (e.g., /home) as important, but as we've learned in =
this thread, there are other files that are important for a properly =
working system. Is backing up all /var on the "critical" list? Only =
/var/db or /var/backups?