Date:      10 Jan 96 00:25:36 GMT
From:      peter@jhome.DIALix.COM (Peter Wemm)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Linux-emul

terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert) writes:

>> I am running linux netscape 2.0.4b on the FreeBSD 2.1.
>> Everything looks just fine (even Applets). But I keep
>> getting the following error message at the console and
>> /var/log/messages,
>>
>>   Linux-emul(691): syslog() not supported (BSD sigreturn)
>>
>> My naive attempt was killing the syslogd. But still I cannot
>> stop that repeated error message.
>>
>> I am just wondering whether or not I am the only person
>> who get such error message.

>The signal return is in BSD format, and the program you are
>running is actually checking the signal return and other data
>that are in a machine specific format.

>This has been fixed in the newest Linux emulation code with regard
>to Linux style signal processing.  If you update to -current, the
>problem will go away.

No.. I dont think it's anything to do with this.  Also, the Linux
emulator's signals have not been touched since it was imported.
(it's practically orphan code, especially since the primary author is
snowed under with other work.)

>If you know the code, you could just update the emulator portion
>instead of updating your whole OS.

Sorry, it wont help. The main problem appears to be that the linux libc that
we use implements syslog() by calling the linux kernel syslog syscall, which
does *nothing* like what syslog() is supposed to do.  User mode processes
have no business calling it at all, because on linux it gives an EPERM if
not being run as the superuser.  On linux, the syslog system call is for
reading the console messages buffer (like our 'dmesg' command).

-Peter