Date:      Tue, 1 Oct 2002 09:45:32 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        Peter Grehan <grehan@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-ppc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: atomic.h vs atomic.s

Andrew Gallatin writes:
 > Peter Grehan writes:
 >  > > Actually, I think it's a simple problem: the atomic_* routines don't
 >  > >disable interrupts, so there's a window between the initial load
 >  > >and the reservation.
 >  >
 >  >  I'm completely wrong about this, but until I get work out the bugs
 >  > in atomic.h, I've put up a new kernel.nfs built with a brain-dead atomic.h
 >  > (also on freebsd.org/~grehan) that will suffice for now.
 >  >
 >  >  Netperf seems to work OK. Let me know if you get any further.
 >  >
 >  > later,
 >
 > Netperf works for me too.
 >
 > But .. I'm still getting the transient compiler failures when I first start a
 > build.  And it locked up solid the first time I started the build..

After restarting the build as needed, I've built a working kernel
natively.  Nice work Peter!

I've got 2 weird quirks which I was wonder if are specific to my
hardware --

- there's no TOY (or TOD) clock read at boot:

# uptime
12:02AM  up 3 mins, 0 users, load averages: 0.05, 0.06, 0.03
# date
Thu Jan  1 00:02:33 GMT 1970

- reboot locks the machine up:

# reboot
Waiting (max 60 seconds) for system process `vnlru' to stop...stopped
Waiting (max 60 seconds) for system process `bufdaemon' to
stop...stopped
Waiting (max 60 seconds) for system process `syncer' to stop...stopped

syncing disks...
done
Uptime: 21m21s
Rebooting...
 ok
0

At this point, it looks good, but openfirmware won't take any input.

Both of these are very minor .. I was just curious.

Thanks,

Drew