Date:      Fri, 13 Mar 1998 09:09:54 +1100
From:      Joe Shevland <joe.shevland@horizonti.com>
To:        Richard Fahey <ricko@tinet.ie>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: jdk and appletviewer

Richard Fahey wrote:

> To whom it may concern,
> [snip]
> Whenever I try to execute an applet or run the appletviewer on a class
> file, I get the following error Invalid: JAVA_HOME: c:\cafe\JAVA and
> nothing executes.
> [snip]
> Any ideas??

We're in freebsd-java, but...

1. A few to try (and note that your browser works because it uses its
own virtual machine, and so is not affected by your local settings).
>From a DOS prompt, try typing:

SET JAVA_HOME=

This will unset the environment variable. Test the appletviewer or
whatever (in this same DOS window) to see if it is now working. If this
is the case, and JAVA_HOME is not set in the autoexec.bat file, search
the Windows registry (using RegEdit, installed by default) for the key
JAVA_HOME to see what is setting it. Upon finding it, delete it will
extreme prejudice :) The System control panel of WinNT boxes can also be
used to set up environment variables.

2. Make sure that your PATH includes the 'bin' directory of the JDK
install directory. Make sure your CLASSPATH is set correctly. Examples
follow:

SET PATH=%PATH%;C:\JDK1.1.5\BIN
SET CLASSPATH=.;C:\JDK1.1.5\LIB\CLASSES.ZIP

3. If these are correct, try setting JAVA_HOME yourself in the
autoexec.bat to point to the top level directory of the installed JDK:

SET JAVA_HOME=C:\JDK1.1.5

Actually, I thought after about JDK 1.1.3 or so that JAVA_HOME is the
only one that needs to be set, as well as the PATH inclusion. Hope it
helps...

--
Joe Shevland
Joe.Shevland@HorizonTechnologies.com