Date:      Sun, 22 Mar 1998 09:47:40 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Maris <mmalic@netrover.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: error code 1 after make

On Sat, 21 March 1998 at 17:15:31 -0500, Maris wrote:
> ----------
>> From: Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
>> To: Maris <mmalic@netrover.com>; freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
>> Subject: Re: error code 1 after make
>> Date: Friday, March 20, 1998 6:41 PM
>>
>> On Fri, 20 March 1998 at 13:02:23 -0500, Maris wrote:
>>> hellow good sirs!
>>>
>>> i've just got done trying to compile my own (first) kernal
>>>
>>> after i finished editing the original (default) good working
>>> kernel i did this:
>>>
>>> /usr/sbin/config MARISKERNEL  <--- seemed to go well
>>> cd ../../compile/MARISKERNEL
>>> make depend   <--- seemed to go well
>>> make   <-------------------------------------------did not seem to go
>>> well..got the message
>>>
>>> Error code 1
>>>
>>> after it spit out a whole ton of other stuff
>>>
>>> sorry that i'm not more specific at the moment....i'm just execited
>>> to wait...wanted to get this question out to you as soon as possible
>>> ...hoping that all you need to see is "Error code 1" in order to
>>> magically wisk my problems away......
>>
>> No.  You need to be more specific.  "Error code 1" means "something
>> went wrong".  We need to see where it started to go wrong (typically,
>> this is where the ***s start).
>>
>> Greg
>
> o.k ... i hope this will help
>
> during the 'make' the only unusual info was this line:
>
> ../../scsi/sd.c:127:warning:no previouse prototype for 'sdinit'
>
> until the end....when all hell broke loose with the following ending:
>
> sd.o:undefind symbol '_extend_get' referenced from text segment
> sd.o:undefind symbol '_scsi_test_unty_ready' referenced from text segment
> sd.o:undefind symbol '_scsi_test_unty_ready' referenced from text segment
> sd.o:undefind symbol '_scsi_prevent' referenced from text segment
> sd.o:undefind symbol '_scsi_prevent' referenced from text segment
> sd.o:undefind symbol '_scsi_prevent' referenced from text segment
> sd.o:undefind symbol '_scsi_minphys' referenced from text segment
> sd.o:undefind symbol '_extend_get' referenced from text segment
> sd.o:undefind symbol '_scsi_cmd' referenced from text segment
> sd.o:undefind symbol '_scsi_do_ioctl' referenced from text segment
> sd.o:undefind symbol '_extend_get' referenced from text segment
> sd.o:undefind symbol '_scsi_cmd' referenced from text segment
> sd.o:undefind symbol '_extend_get' referenced from text segment
> sd.o:undefind symbol '_scsi_cmd' referenced from text segment
> sd.o:undefind symbol '_extend_get' referenced from text segment
> sd.o:undefind symbol '_scsi_cmd' referenced from text segment
> sd.o:undefind symbol '_scsi_3btou' referenced from text segment
> sd.o:More undefined sysmbol '_extend_get' refs follow
> sd.o:Undefined symbol '_scsi_sense_print' referenced from text segment
>
> ***Error Code 1
> Stop.
> #  <---------   my root command prompt
>
> other than this i don't know what else i can offer in the way of details.
>
> do you know what it is ??

Yes, it's an incorrect configuration file.  You've forgotten to
include some SCSI config line-I'd gues either the 'controller scbus0'
or the definition for your particular SCSI controller.

Please don't send replies messages like this just to me--I can't
guarantee to follow up on them.  You're better off copying -questions,
like I've done now.

Greg