Date:      Mon, 20 Mar 2000 13:43:59 -0500
From:      "DJ Martin MacT" <martinm@visualedge.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Setting up a box to use remotely by way of an X-server

------=_NextPart_000_0168_01BF9272.589F86C0

Q: Does anyone know what would make a network card function =
intermittently (work for 20minutes, not work for 30, then work again)?

    TIA to anyone who knows, I am sooooo frustrated: working/not working =
I can figure out, but this is just plain confusing...

    I have two computers connected via ethernet:  one is a w2k, the =
other FreeBSD... I'd like to be running an Xserver on win2k so as to =
access the FreeBSD3.4 computer...

    I have recompiled the kernel, but it didn't solve my problems..:

        The network seems to work for 20 minutes, then not work for =
another 20, then work again... It seems pretty random, but when it works =
it usually good for at least 20 minutes before I get dropped.... At the =
point that it malfunctions, I can ping out from FreeBSD, and win2k will =
get a packet and reply, but FreeBSD never gets that reply... If I ping =
from win2k to FreeBSD while it's not working, only one hub light blinks =
(the windows one)...

    I am using a "home ethernet" kit from Linksys... Under linux the =
cards use "tulip.o" as a driver, on FreeBSD it uses mx0... It also (from =
ifconfig mx0) seems that FreeBSD has my card set up as half-duplex, even =
though it is capable of full.... I don't know how to change that or if =
it is even a problem.

    The only other network strangeness come from Apache and Sendmail: =
both complain about being unable to resolve hostnames (when I am at home =
I can get the exact message)... I have no name server (only 2 computers =
on the network), only /etc/hosts files...

------=_NextPart_000_0168_01BF9272.589F86C0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Q: Does anyone know what would make a network card =
function=20
intermittently (work for 20minutes, not work for 30, then work=20
again)?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; TIA to anyone who knows, I am =
sooooo=20
frustrated: working/not working I can figure out, but this is just plain =

confusing...</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I have two computers connected =
via=20
ethernet:&nbsp; one is a w2k, the other FreeBSD... I'd like to be =
running an=20
Xserver on win2k so as to access the FreeBSD3.4 computer...</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I have recompiled the kernel, but =
it didn't=20
solve my problems..:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The network =
seems to=20
work for 20 minutes, then not work for another 20, then work again... It =
seems=20
pretty random, but when it works it usually good for at least 20 minutes =
before=20
I get dropped.... At the point that it malfunctions, I can ping out from =

FreeBSD, and win2k will get a packet and reply, but FreeBSD never gets =
that=20
reply... If I ping from win2k to FreeBSD while it's not working, only =
one hub=20
light blinks (the windows one)...</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I am using a "home ethernet" kit =
from=20
Linksys... Under linux the cards use "tulip.o" as a driver, on FreeBSD =
it uses=20
mx0... It also (from ifconfig mx0) seems that FreeBSD has my card set up =
as=20
half-duplex, even though it is capable of full.... I don't know how to =
change=20
that or if it is even a problem.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The only other network =
strangeness come=20
from Apache and Sendmail: both complain about being unable to resolve =
hostnames=20
(when I am at home I can get the exact message)... I have no name server =
(only 2=20
computers on the network), only /etc/hosts =
files...</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0168_01BF9272.589F86C0--