Date:      Tue, 11 Mar 2003 12:46:49 -0500
From:      Brian McCann <bjm1287@ritvax.isc.rit.edu>
To:        davidc@huyett.com, 'FreeBSD List' <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   RE: Handbook ?

I'm guessing your not referring to the handbook online at
www.freebsd.org?  Typically, the numbers in (), like ls(1) and wait(2),
are numbers that refer to man page categories.  There is a place on the
internet you can see what all the categories are...I was looking at it
the other day but cannot remember where it was.  If you search for
"write man page" or something along those lines, I'm sure you will find
it.

--Brian