Date:      Wed, 14 Jul 1999 00:21:04 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        mavery@mail.otherwhen.com
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how to start to be a hacker?

> An exchange student was working for my wife in a library on the
> east coast, and said she was going to visit her friends in Washington
> over a 3-day weekend.  She was going to take the train.  My wife
> was familiar with Washington DC, so she suggested a few resturants,
> and was told, "No, not Washington DC, my friends are in Washington
> state!"
>
> If there was an excellent train service, she'd have had just enough
> time to make it to Washington state, get a cup of coffee, get back
> on the train, and drink the coffee on the way back.  But train service
> gets worse and worse the farther you get from the east coast.
> Sadly, the student couldn't afford a plane ticket, so the visit with
> friends was considerably delayed.

FWIW, in the same way that vistors can get a Europass to travel
Europe by train, visitors to the US can get a pass that will
allow them to ride standby at no additional cost on aircraft in
the US.

This option is generally very cheap; cheaper than the train fare.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.