Date:      Wed, 21 Jun 1995 07:19:19 -0600
From:      aflundi@sandia.gov (Alan F Lundin)
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Comments on the 2.0.5 Installation

Two more things I think would be neat for the next sysinstall
(but perhaps not feasible):

1) For tape installations, allow multiple files on one tape so
   that device /dev/nr?t? would be used.  The files (distributions)
   would have to be ordered, but if documented, I don't think that
   would be a difficult hurdle.  This could allow an installation
   on a somewhat smaller disk.

2) Do the file transfer (via tape read, ftp, nfs, or whatever)
   in parallel with the install.  I.e.,

       read floppies/root.flp
       read bin/*			install root.flp
       read manpages/*			install bin
       read compat1x/*			install manpages

"User-friendliness" is a hard term to define, but I would
guess that an installation that took 30 minutes might be
called more user-friendly than one that took 60 minutes.
Similarly, one that took fewer resources (in this case disk
space) might also be called more user-friendly.

Many thanks to those working on FreeBSD.  The install just
keeps getting better (it goes very quickly once you get the
hang of it) and the OS is really a pleasure to use!

--alan