Date:      Tue, 24 Oct 2006 18:46:30 +1000
From:      Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au>
To:        Ronald Klop <ronald-freebsd8@klop.yi.org>, Mike Jakubik <mikej@rogers.com>, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Running large DB's on FreeBSD

--eJnRUKwClWJh1Khz

On Tue, 2006-Oct-24 02:21:06 +0200, Ronald Klop wrote:
>>On Oct 23, 2006, at 4:44 PM, Mike Jakubik wrote:
>>>advanced features, but if they are not used, then what is the =20
>>>advantage? (I really like the InnooDB storage in MySQL)

One nice thing about MySQL is the plethora of backends - you can
pick the backend to suit the type of data and access methods.

>Example: writing 1 bit on 1 disk needs to read some info from all disks to=
 =20
>recalculate the parity. So this doesn't scale very well.

Any sane RAID-5 implementation will regenerate the parity by
new_parity =3D old_parity XOR old_data XOR new_data
Though this still turns a single write into 2 reads and 2 writes.

Basically: Don't use RAID-5.

--=20
Peter Jeremy

--eJnRUKwClWJh1Khz