Date:      Tue, 17 Aug 1999 21:50:30 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [re]writable cdrom drive

:Is me again 8)
:
:mkisofs -R /mount/dir | cdrecord -v fs=6m speed=2 -dev=0:1:0
:
:Okay,  whats the magic device name to access  the yamaha cd recorder .
:I have tried several combinations of names with no success.
:
:dmesg says that I have:
:
:cd0 at ahc0 bus 0 target 1 lun 0
:cd0: <YAMAHA CRW6416S 1.0b> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-2 device
:cd0: 10.000MB/s transfers (10.000MHz, offset 15)
:cd0: Attempt to query device size failed: NOT READY, Medium not presen
:...
:	Tnks!
: Amancio Hasty
: hasty@rah.star-gate.com

    It found it, that's good.

    Run this:

	cdrecord -scanbus

    The device is probably dev=0,1

    Once you figure it all out you can set it up in /etc/default/cdrecord
    so you never have to specify it on the command line again.  See
    'man cdrecord'

    -

    And to head off another question:  When you are recording to a CD-RW
    you can do a 'quick erase' of the media using 'cdrecord blank=fast'.
    This does not actually erase the data, so if you have used say 100MB
    you will only have 550MB left.  You can actually erase the media using
    'cdrecord blank=all', which takes a while.

    CD-RW media lasts for around 1000 erasure cycles.  CD-R media, obviously,
    can only be written once.

    -

    Finally, when you pipe mkisofs to cdrecord directly it is possible to
    fall behind enough that an error may occur.  The CD writer needs a
    continuous stream.  There are two solution to this if it occurs:  First,
    write at a slower rate (speed=1 or speed=2 rather then the default 4),
    or you need to mkisofs to an image file and then cdrecord from the image
    file.

    What I do is have a 650MB partition on one of my disks which I write my
    backup files to.  Since they are relatively large files there is little
    chance of mkisofs getting behind so I then 'mkisofs -R' that directory
    and pipe it to cdrecord to do the actual backup.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>