Date:      Mon, 09 Sep 2002 15:32:51 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        "Neal E. Westfall" <nwestfal@directvinternet.com>
Cc:        Lawrence Sica <lomifeh@earthlink.net>, Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why did evolution fail?

"Neal E. Westfall" wrote:
> [...]
[...]
> > Why is it "completely irrational"?  All it amounts to is that we
> > are willing to acknowledge that we don't know everything.
>
> Because no matter how well you dress it up, it amounts to the following:
>
> 1) Something came from nothing.

We haven't gotten into the cosmological issues, so far, but if
you insist, we can.

> 2) Order came from disorder.

Mathematically, we can prove this from the same axiomatic basis
that lets other mathematical operations work.  Order *does* come
from disorder.  At a fundamental level, the universe is quantized,
and this causes certain emergenet behaviours in matter.  We call
the properties that cause this "universal constants", like the
value of PI, the value of "e", the Planck length, etc..  We don't
have to define an origin for these numbers for them to make
themselves evident to us.

> 3) Life came from non-life.

This is actually a reasonable assumption, given empirical
observations.  We have a number of stories to describe the math
of how this could be so.  It also begs the definition of "life";
if you mean self-assembly of complex chemical compounds, we can
do this in a laboratory, under controlled conditions, creating
amino acids from conditions which simulate our best guesses at
those present early in the life of the Earth.

> 4) Intelligence came from non-intelligence.

Our best theory is that intelligence is an emergent property of
complex self-regulating systems over a certain threshold density.
Again, it begs the definition of "intelligence"; there are many
things you could mean here, and it's really hard to draw a boundary
line, and say, for example, "Chimps are intelligent, but mice are
not".

> 5) Morality came from the non-moral.

Morality is a consensus definition based on collectivist ethics;
it's always externally imposed, which is how it differs from
ethics.  We've had this discussion already.

> To believe in evolution (at least the non-theistic variety) you have to
> believe that things turn into their opposites.  This is quite a departure
> from the notion of "rational explanation."

I follow your arguments (even if I attempt to refute them);
however, even if we grant your 5 points as being totally and
complete irrefutably correct, they don't lead me to the
conclusion that "evolution is incorrect", they merely lead me,
as a collection of supporting arguuments, to a belief in a
creator.

Believing in a creator is not the same thing as falsifying
evolutionary theory.

-- Terry