Date:      Fri, 30 Mar 2001 23:00:19 -0700
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        Alexey Koptsevich <kopts@astro.ioffe.rssi.ru>
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: error blanking CD-RW

On Thu, Mar 29, 2001 at 17:02:56 +0400, Alexey Koptsevich wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Would be grateful for help! I have strange problem. After 3 CD-Rs have
> been successfully recorded at different speeds I tried CD-RW for the first
> time. I started with dummy blanking but have got an error (log follows).
> The second attempt led to the same result, and the same for another CD-RW.
> What could be the problem? Could it be SCSI bus problem? Sometimes boot
> process hangs on SCSI bus initialization stage (before SCSI BIOS loading,
> just no devices are found). If so, why this problem did not occur when I
> wrote CD-Rs?

What happens when you don't use the -dummy flag?

What sort of hardware do you have in your machine?  It hangs when the SCSI
bios probes?  That sounds like it may be a cabling or termination problem.

The error below is a hardware error from the CD-RW.  I'm not sure why
you're getting a "track following error" with a dummy write, though.

> Last chance to quit, starting dummy write in 1 seconds.
> cdrecord: faio_wait_on_buffer for writer timed out.
> cdrecord: Input/output error. blank unit: scsi sendcmd: retryable error
> CDB:  A1 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
> status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
> Sense Bytes: 70 00 04 79 10 BA 00 0A 00 00 00 00 09 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
> 00 00 00 08 00 00 00 00 00 00 08 00
> Sense Key: 0x4 Hardware Error, Segment 0
> Sense Code: 0x09 Qual 0x00 (track following error) Fru 0x0
> Sense flags: Blk 2031139328 (not valid)
> cmd finished after 1196.364s timeout 9600s
> cdrecord: Cannot blank disk, aborting.

I'd suggest trying it without the -dummy flag and see what happens.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@kdm.org