Date:      Wed, 30 Jan 2008 10:46:15 +0100
From:      Gary Jennejohn <gary.jennejohn@freenet.de>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   data corruption with ahc driver and 4GB of memory using a FBSD-8 64-bit installation?

I think $(subject) says it all.

I have a Gigabyte AM2 mobo with an AMD64 X2 CPU installed.

The SCIS set up looks lie this:

29160N <--> da0 <--> da1

da0 has a 32-bit installation of FBSD-8
da1 has a 64-bit installtion of FBSD-8

If I install 4GB of memory (4 DIMMs) in the system I see the following
behavior:

a) booting from da0 works just fine and I can access both disks without
any problem.

b) booting from da1 results in (apparent) data errors such that /bin/sh
dies with SIGILL and /rescue/sh dies with SIGSEGV.

c) trying to do an installation of a snapshot of FBSD-8 to a SCSI disk
results in various problems, among others a kernel panic in ffs_balloc
during newfs.

d) an installation to a SATA disk succeeds and the system runs just
fine.

With only 3GB of memory everything works. Of course, I'd really like to
be able to use the entire 4GB. And I want to keep my SCSI disks.

I suspect that ahc has some sort of problem in 64-bit mode. However,
I'm not certain whether the 32-bit installation works with 4GB simply
because the ahc driver uses bounce buffers.

Has anybody else seen this? Can anyone confirm that ahc does indeed
have an error with 4GB and a 64-bit installation?

BTW please put me in the Cc because I'm not subscribed to this ML.

---
Gary Jennejohn