Date:      Tue, 12 Nov 2002 10:45:51 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Jason Vervlied <jvervlied@boca.verio.net>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Samba on -current

Jason Vervlied wrote:
> I am having problems with a Samba share on my -current box, I just
> installed from 20021103-SNAP. I did recompile my kernel with the following
> options.

[ ... ]

> I also added the SMP options to the kernel. I used the same options under
> -stable and experineced no issues. Here is the error I get when I try to
> copy a file from my samba share
>
> [jvervlied@current 80-85]$ cp bad_religion-yesterday.mp3 ~/
> cp: /home/jvervlied/bad_religion-yesterday.mp3: Bad address

This was discussed in detail about 3 weeks ago.  I suggested one
workaround, which would be to disable the Samba-specific
getpages/putpages code, since the timeout is in the getpages,
where an operational status code says that the attempt is both
"not recoverable" and "should be retried".

Another partial fix is to retry for a count, but the "unrecoverable"
part of the error indicates that the operation need to be retried
at a much higher level (potentially, all the way to the point of
reestablishing the session).

See the archived previous discussion for details.

One alternative is to use "dd" instead of "cp" to copy the file,
thus avoiding the mmap'ed data failts that come from "cp" to the
SMBFS.

-- Terry