Date:      Mon, 8 Jul 1996 16:27:12 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Ron Steele <ron@infi.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   SysAdmin Round 2

Wow, I got quite a response regarding system admin tools.  It
looks like there is a lot more basic work to be done than I
anticipated, whick is ok by me.  One thing I don't want to
do is reinvent anything, so let me know if I have missed something.
Here is the plan for passwd/group admin:

A C library to impliment the low level database type operations
of add, delete, and query, that will work on either the groups file,
password file, or any other simular text file.

A C program to give command line access to this library.

A tcl program interface to the lirary - which will be provide
the fuctions needed by tcl/tk to do a full GUI.

The tcl/tk GUI.

Xforms was suggested as an alternative to tcl/tk.  It may work fine,
and even be simpler, but as I have done some tcl/tk and the tcl
interpreter work is directly applicable to my current employment,
I think I will stick to tcl/tk.

I think that does a fair job of encompassing the desires of
parties that responded.

A further question:  How do people like to have default values, and behaviors
stored.  The obvious things are environment variables, config files,
and command line params.  I personally dislike a zillion command line
parameters.  The choice of config files or environment variables seems
to be a choice between two evils.  If no one cares I will likely do
the config file thing.

More comments are welcome.

Ron Steele