Date:      Tue, 21 Dec 2010 07:56:10 -1000
From:      Clifton Royston <cliftonr@lava.net>
To:        "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Forward to abuse@ button for http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5965

> Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 02:01:07 +0100
> From: "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
> Subject: Forward to abuse@ button for
> 	http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5965
> To: hackers@freebsd.org
>
> Hi hackers@,
> I just posted a question [see below] to exmh-users@redhat.com,
>
> A similar question extends for nmh & claws-mail etc:
> 	Any tools to auto forward spam into rfc5965 format for abuse@ ?
>
> ] To: exmh-users@redhat.com
> ] From: Yahoo! Mail <abuse@yahoo.com>
> ]
> ] Thank you for your email, but this address now only accepts messages in
> ] Abuse Reporting Format (http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5965)
> ]
> ] To report abuse manually (or to get help with security or abuse related
> ] issues), please go to Yahoo! Abuse:
> ] http://abuse.yahoo.com
> ]
> ] For questions about using Yahoo! services, please visit Yahoo Help:
> ] http://help.yahoo.com
> ]
> ] Thank you,
> ]  - Yahoo! Customer Care
> ]
> ] Note: Please do not reply to this email as replies will not be answered.
> ] --------
>
> PS Spot the connection ?
> Yahoo dumps anti spam work on unpaid suckers.  Yahoo lays off 4% of staff,
> 	http://berklix.com/~jhs/mail/no_rfc5965.html
>
> Cheers,
> Julian

Julian,
  The only reference I've seen to date on a public tool for ARF
formatting are Perl modules - Mail::ARF, Email::ARF, and MIME::ARF; but
you should be able to craft something with those.  ARF is a variation
on the previously existing MIME Multipart/Report format, so you can
also look at any MIME generation tools which play well with exmh.
Email::ARF is on CPAN and a link to MIME::ARF can be found here:
  http://wordtothewise.com/resources/arfdeveloper.html

  John Levine, a long-time FreeBSD user and Internet mail guru, was one
of the developers who helped work it through the IETF, so I did some
searches on his site (Google search on: "arf site:jl.ly" but don't find
anything specifically about tools.

  However, I can also inform you that that even if you submit a
properly formatted ARF report, a good fraction of the time Yahoo! may
still bounce it indicating that you must submit an ARF report.  I have
seen a number of reports of that.  Outsourcing, I'm sure.  (They also
have been known to firmly claim that a number of Yahoo's mail outbounds
are not their servers.)  AOL will actually process ARF messages and so
will some other major providers, so it's still worth doing.

  -- Clifton

--
    Clifton Royston  --  cliftonr@iandicomputing.com / cliftonr@lava.net
       President  - I and I Computing * http://www.iandicomputing.com/