Date:      Sun, 22 Mar 1998 00:52:55 +0000
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Marc Giannoni <marcg@bigdog.fred.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help config ijppp

> My question concerns configuring ijppp security, actually disabling it.
>
> I put...
>
> " allow users [ME] "
>
> in /etc/ppp/ppp.conf but I still can't...
>
> "telnet localhost ppp"
> Trying 127.0.0.1...

The ``allow users'' effects your ability to run ppp.  It doesn't
prevent access via pppctl or telnet.  Ppp no longer creates a
diagnostic port by default - you've gotta ``set server ...''.
Something like

  set server 3000 MyPasswd

or even

  set server /var/tmp/ppp-ctl MyPasswd 0117

might be appropriate.  The second version is more secure as you can
only use a unix-domain socket from the local machine.  You're also
better off using pppctl instead of telnet - you get command line
editing with pppctl :-)

> ???
>
> It used to work real easy the old way...but I suppose the old days
> are over.  Hmmm...wish things didn't have to be so security concious
> these days.

It grows on you :-)

      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;