Date:      Tue, 9 Jan 1996 22:48:10 +0100 (MET)
From:      grog@lemis.de (Greg Lehey)
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD Hackers)
Subject:   Re: Using `ping' to diagnose network connections reasonable?

Jordan K. Hubbard writes:

> I'd like to add some code to sysinstall which will attempt to
> `diagnose' a link before accepting the configuration parameters,
> catching a lot of adapter misconfiguration and incorrect data errors
> that sysinstall misses now (to fail less gracefully later).  My
> question is whether or not `ping' is a reasonable way to measure
> connectivity between your host and the gateway & dns machines.  Is it
> reasonable to assume that if a host supports forwarding or DNS
> queries, it will also answer pings?  What if you've got pings blocked
> somehow but allow DNS traffic through?  I wouldn't want to flag a host
> as `unreachable' when in fact it would have worked fine for its
> intended purpose!  That would be worse than no error checking at all.

Well, here are three possibilities to consider:

1.  I have an ISDN dialup connection, and I don't like people costing
    me money by pinging me, so I have got my ISP to drop ICMP packets
    at his end.

2.  I have an PPP dialup connection, and I haven't got my ISP to drop
    ICMP packets at his end.  Still, setting up the connection takes
    so long that the first 20 packets fall into the bit bucket.

3.  I have a machine with an independent IP processor.  If the main
    machine fails, you can't talk to it (how about that), but you can
    still ping it.  This isn't made up, I really do have a machine
    like that (based on a 68020, would you believe, but the IP
    processor is an 80386 :-).

In each of these cases, your ping check may come to an incorrect
conclusion.  Pinging is nice for an approximation, but it's no
substitute for the real thing.

Greg