Date:      Fri, 1 Nov 1996 08:51:08 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Cc:        ormonde@trem.cnt.org.br
Subject:   Re: Zombie processes

As Terry Lambert wrote:

> > > Alternately, set a signal handler of SIG_IGN for SIGCHLD.  This is
> > > guaranteed to not create zombies in the first place for all POSIX
> > > compliant or conformant OS's.

> > You are wrong with this opinion, and you have been told this before.

> I didn't say it did.
>
> I said all POSIX compliant or conformant acted this way.

You said it were ``guaranteed'', and this implies at least to the
innocent reader that Posix would mandate it this way.  It doesn't.

I call this intent of confusion, at least.  It's not helpful to the
one who's been asking the question in the first place, either.

If we will ever implement it (i started, but got stuck at some place
and had to rearrange priorities), we most likely won't implement it in
your intended way (aka. the SVR3 way) at all, but would use
SA_NOCLDWAIT for it, as does SVR4.

--
cheers, J"org